Kenneth Gagner, Superintendent
Braham Area Schools
During Back-to-School workshop I had an opportunity to visit with all our employees on what I call the ‘big rocks’ driving our work at ISD No. 314. Those two rocks focus on our commitment to service and excellence.
As part of my presentation I shared a quote from Minnesota athlete Carrie Tollefson, a small town girl (Dawson) who won 13 state championships and participated in the 2004 Olympics. During a recent interview Carrie said, “Sometimes I sleep in my running clothes so I can get up and get out there faster.” Hopefully we all have a passion in life that we’re willing to ‘sleep in’ to ensure we’re ready to roll at first light. If nothing comes to mind, use the change of seasons to reflect and find your passion. It may take a few nights of wearing the clothes, but it sure makes the ride of life more enjoyable.
In closing, allow me to share five good news stories out of Braham.
• When looking at data impacting the core subjects of reading and math, ISD No. 314 increased Minnesota state scores in proficiency, growth, and closing the achievement gap.
• For the first time in eight years, enrollment increased over the summer. Braham has 725 students enrolled K-12 compared to 719 at the close of last year.
• Braham Area Elementary School was one of eight out of 327 public elementary schools and 164 charter schools to be named a Minnesota School of Excellence.
• Congratulations to the following outstanding staff at Braham Area Schools:
– 2017-2018 Leadership in Educational Excellence Award winners:
Tracy Fix (sixth-grade teacher).
Tammi Johnson (Social Studies/Dean of Students).
– 2017-2018 Outstanding Educational Support Staff Members of the Year:
Dana Hendren (HS Media Center) and Nickie Nelson (Comm. Ed./AD Secretary).
– 2017-2018 Braham Area School’s Teacher of the Year:
• The building project started in the fall of 2015 is officially complete. We are thrilled that our students and community are able to utilize these wonderfully new and-or upgraded facilities in our pursuit of excellence.
Contact me at 320-396-5199 or [email protected] should you have questions. Follow the district on our website, Facebook, or Twitter at: @Braham_Schools or my own feed @Supt_Gagner.