Bob Hughes took his oath of office to serve on the Braham Area School Board during the regular meeting Aug. 21.
Hughes, who has previously served on the school board, was appointed to fill a vacancy. Hughes mentioned when he graduated from high school 66 years ago they focused on reading, writing and arithmetic.
Superintendent Ken Gagner was pleased with the 2016-2017 school year results recently released by the Minnesota Department of Education.
He said the reading and math scores, “show we’re pointing in the right direction,” which is, “really good news.” He also said, “While we are very proud of these scores, we still have work to do. Not every grade, nor every child is making the progress we would like. We’ll use this data along with several other pieces of information to help individualize our approach for every student.”
Gagner was also thrilled the baseball dugouts have been completed. He said it wasn’t easy work and he thanked the volunteers who helped. The school board members also thanked the groundskeepers who have kept the grounds looking nice.
Gagner noted the filing period for school board elections has closed. Five individuals filed for three open four-year term seats including incumbent Steven Eklund, incumbent Allison Londgren, Darrin Davis, Brad Schmitz and Michael Wickeham. One person filed for the two-year term that included Mike Thomson. Voting for the school board election will take place at Braham Area High School on Nov. 7 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
In addition, the school board:
• Accepted a total of $4,675 in donations to be used for a climbing wall, the Dallas Brass Concert and school supplies.
• Named Ryan Ferrin the new head JV football coach.
• Approved adding the Braham Elementary Parents Organization to the not-for-profit groups in policy No. 902.
• Approved three 2017-2020 SEIU Union contracts for food service, custodian/groundskeeper and paraprofessionals/secretaries.
• Approved 2017-2018 coaching and fine art assignments.
– The next school board meeting will be held Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. in the B100 Community Room at the Braham Area High School.