Kenneth G. Gagner, Superintendent
Braham Area Schools
The Minnesota Department of Education recently released accountability scores (MCA’s) for public schools across the state. The public can access these scores and compare selected districts by going to the MDE website and choosing Minnesota Report Card located under the Data Center tab.
Like most every district in the state, Braham Schools has information we are especially proud to share and information telling us we have much work to accomplish. These annual assessments allow the district to measure progress and keep focused on our core mission to prepare the young people in our communities to have the skills necessary to lead productive lives. On to a few highlights concerning 2016-2017 data.
Proficiency: Are students meeting academic standards?
– District wide scores in reading were 2.6 percent points above of the state average.
– District wide scores in math were 2.5 percent points above of the state average.
Growth: Are students showing academic progress as expected each year?
– District wide scores in reading were 3.7 percent points above of the state average.
– District wide scores in math were 2.9 percent points above of the state average.
Four Year Graduation Rate: Do students graduate on time?
– District rates are 13.3 percent points above the state average.
As mentioned earlier, while we are very proud of these scores, we still have work to do. Not every grade, nor every child, is making the progress we would like. We’ll use this data along with several other pieces of information to help individualize our approach for each student. It’s a continual process and part of our ‘Big Rocks’ in Braham – the commitment to service and excellence in all that we do.
A few other items of note:
• The entire Braham community is invited to attend the annual open house from 5-7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 30. In addition to students and families meeting teachers and visiting classrooms, all guests are encouraged to tour the updated facilities and join us for a free light supper of hot dogs, chips, and water directly in front of the 5-12 building. There is still time to enroll your students. Check our website or call 320-396-5199.
• The community is invited to attend the football team’s annual hog roast on Thursday, Aug. 24, starting at 6 p.m. at the high school. A scrimmage will take place immediately following.
• The home opener for volleyball will be Tuesday, Aug. 29, starting at 6 p.m. vs Royalton and the first ever game to be played on the new football field will be held Thursday, Aug. 31, starting at 7 p.m. vs Chisholm. The newly formed Braham Education Foundation will be serving grilled hamburgers starting at 6 p.m. Come early and enjoy some tailgating.
Contact me at 320-396-5199 or [email protected] should you have questions. Follow the district on our website, Facebook, or Twitter at: @Braham_Schools or my own feed @Supt_Gagner.