The national small business movement, Independent We Stand, announced the quarterfinalists, including Scout & Morgan Books of Cambridge, of the 2015 Independent We Stand Independent Small Business of the Year Award.
This announcement precedes Small Business Saturday on Nov. 28, encouraging holiday shoppers to support these businesses over big boxes and national chains.
Nearly 22,000 votes were cast for 315 nominees during the nominations phase. Scout & Morgan Book is the only Minnesota business to be named a quarterfinalist.
The locally-owned, independent bookstore stocks over 25,000 used, new and out-of-print books and has been serving the East Central Minnesota region since 2002.
Throughout the year the store hosts numerous author events, book groups, a summer reading program and other community events.
Scout & Morgan Book is known for partnering with local literacy groups and organizations to help raise the next generation of readers. In that spirit, Scout & Morgan Books has pledged to donate the $5,000 in prize money to the Cambridge Public Library to help build their new library.
Scout & Morgan Books is a member of the Midwest Independent Bookseller’s Association and the America Bookseller’s Association.
“This year’s quarterfinalists represent a variety of independent businesses across the country, who are making an impact on their local economies,” said Bill Brunelle, co-founder of Independent We Stand. “This award is our way of recognizing their outstanding efforts in their respective communities.”
Voting is now underway at www.IndieBizAward.com through Dec. 13. Voters may visit the website to cast one vote each day.
The 2015 Indie winner will receive prizes with a combined value of more than $10,000, including:
• $5,000 grand prize.
• $1,000 STIHL equipment certificate. STIHL products are sold exclusively through local, independent servicing dealers and support more than 9,000 STIHL dealers in communities nationwide.
• “Small Business Web Starter Package” from independent web design firm – The Meridian Group.
• Three days-two nights stay at an independent beach resort in Virginia Beach, Virginia. (valued at $1,000).
• Plaque to display at winner’s business.
• Public relations and social media recognition.
• Quarter and Semifinalists will receive a Premium Membership from Independent We Stand.
Nearly 22,000 votes were cast for 315 nominees during the nominations phase. The winner of the Indie will be announced Dec. 16.
For more information on Scout & Morgan Books, visit www.scoutandmorganbooks.com.
For more information on the “Indie” or to vote, visit www.IndieBizAward.com.