After hosting the Minnesota State Championship BMX race in Isanti this past weekend, Isanti is gearing up to host the Minnesota State BMX Finals Aug. 22-24.
During the Isanti City Council meeting Aug. 6, the Council approved a special event application for the Rum River BMX Association to host the State BMX Finals at its track near Bluebird Park, 101 Isanti Parkway Northwest.
The event will run from 4-10 p.m. Aug. 22; 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 23; and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 24. The estimated number of individuals in attendance is 3,000. Camping will be allowed on the BMX grounds, and the surrounding area; however, campfires will not be allowed.
Restroom facilities will be provided by the Association and the organization will also be responsible for the clean-up. Parking will be provided on site, with overflow parking permitted on the public works site, in Bluebird Park parking lots, and in the field adjacent to the track.
In other action, the Council:
- Approved a resolution providing for the competitive negotiated sale of $2,610,000 general obligation tax abatement bonds to fund the construction of an indoor BMX track facility and related site improvements. The sale will take place Sept. 2, and bids are expected to be acted on at the council meeting that evening.
- Approved a resolution providing for the competitive negotiated sale of $1,420,000 general obligation bonds to fund improvements to the municipal sanitary sewer system and acquisition of capital equipment. The sale will take place Sept. 2, and bids are expected to be acted on at the council meeting that evening.
- Approved a special event request from Trisha Bengston to host “The Rum River Run For Lupus’ 5K Run-Walk Sept. 20. The event will begin at the Isanti Soccer Complex, head north on the Cambridge-Isanti Bike-Walk Trail, and finish at the Soccer Complex. Set-up for the event begins at 7 a.m. with the run at 10 a.m. The event will wrap up by 1:30 p.m. Approximately 100 people are expected to participate in the event. The trail will remain open for public use during the event.
- Approved the use of Isanti Community Center capital improvement funds for exterior painting of the Community Center. The work will be done by J.R. Construction of Isanti for a cost not to exceed $7,500.
- Approved the acceptance of a $500 mini-grant from Partners in Healthy Living to be used for the Isanti Family Farmers Market.
- Approved funding from the Economic Development Authority Marketing budget to purchase four historical plaques to be placed in the downtown area. The plaques will be done by Signs by Jill for a cost of approximately $3,052.
- Approved a resolution authorizing the purchase of historical downtown banners, city banner flags and light pole hardware. One quote was received by Signs by Jill for the banners and banner flags in the amount of $3,483. One quote was received from Metal Coatings for the hardware necessary for the lights poles in the amount of $906.