The Cambridge-Isanti School Board has an open seat due to the resignation of board member Mike Streiff.
During the April 24 board meeting, the board accepted Streiff’s resignation due to his job promotion and moving out of the school district.
The board approved a resolution establishing the procedure to fill a board director vacancy by appointment and scheduled a board work session at 6 p.m. May 19 to interview applicants.
The board will accept applications (including a completed application form, cover letter and resume) through 1 p.m. Thursday, May 15. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
The application can be found on the district’s website at www.cambridge.k12.mn.us and can be emailed to [email protected] or dropped off at or mailed to the District Office, Attention: Superintendent’s Office, Kim Cheney, 625A Main St. N., Cambridge, MN 55008.
The board will vote to make the appointment at its May 22 meeting, and the selected candidate will be sworn into office at that time. The appointed person will serve in the seat until Dec. 31, 2014. An election for the seat will take place during the Nov. 4 general election.
Candidates must be at least 21 years of age, have been a resident of the school district for at least 30 days and have not been convicted of an offense for which registration is required under Minnesota statute 243.166, registration of predatory offenders.
The time commitment is 20-40 hours per month and includes business meetings once a month, as well as special meetings, work sessions, committee meetings, trainings and seminars.
Due to Streiff’s resignation, the board elected Board Member Heidi Sprandel to serve as treasurer for the remainder of the 2014 calendar year.
Summer construction projects
The district is gearing up for many construction projects this summer. The projects and bid awards include:
- 2014 playground surfacing for Cambridge Primary and Intermediate Schools: Flanagan Sales, $353,602.
- Construction of Isanti Primary School classroom additions and visitor management remodeling: Rochon Corporation, $1.4 million.
- Construction of Cambridge Primary and Intermediate Schools building additions: Ebert Construction, $2.01 million.
- Isanti Middle School roof repairs: Berwald Roofing, $472,000.
In other action, the board:
- Approved the CIHS Concert Choir and Symphonic Band performance tour to Seattle, leaving June 5 and returning June 11. Approximately 72 students have committed to the tour and have paid a majority of the $895 cost per student. The student’s are responsible for paying the $895 cost either out-of-pocket or with fundraising. Ten adult chaperones will accompany the students.
- Approved the first robotics activity to be added at CIHS for the 2014-15 school year, provided the activity receives funding from outside resources for the program.
- Added June 6 as a student report day due to the weather makeup day from April 17. The students will have a two-hour early dismissal that day.
- Approved 2013-2015 contracts with the instructional assistants; athletic and activities director, Mark Solberg; community education director, David Maurer; and director of finance and operations, Robyn Vosberg-Torgerson.