Tammi Johnson, K-12 Media Specialist
Braham Area School District
It has been a busy month at Braham Area Elementary School. Throughout the month of February, the students and staff have been celebrating “I Love to Read” month.
A variety of activities were planned to celebrate the act of reading and books. The celebration concluded with “Read Across America” day March , in honor of Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel). This month’s theme was, “Fetch A Good Book.”
The major highlight of the month was a visit by Minnesota author Mary Casanova. Casanova has published 31 books and has many more under contract and forthcoming. Some Braham Elementary student favorites include, “One Dog Canoe,” “The Day Dirk Yeller Came to Town,” “Some Dog,” “Dog Watch” series, “Moose Tracks,” and her books written for the American Girl company. Casanova presented to all students and staff in grades K-6 in three presentations. She autographed and personalized many books while she was here, and was a delight to have in the school.
Another highlight of the month was book bingo. All students, kindergarten through sixth grade, had the opportunity to play bingo and win a brand new book. Every student walked away with a new book to celebrate the special month. Both the author visit and prizes for book bingo were made possible through profits made from book fairs held over the past several years.
Other highlights included dress up days, which consisted of a winter Olympics day, pajama day, inside out/sill
y socks day, and hat/crazy hair day. Various individual classroom activities were held, DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) times were designated each day of the month, and special guest readers visited classrooms. Brand new “READ” posters featuring students from each grade, K-6, were also created and placed in each media center.
This month of celebrating reading could not have been a success without the help of many. Thank you to all students for the enthusiasm shown throughout the month. The celebration was a success and the students had a great time thanks to all of you.
The following are to be thanked:
- All staff members for the flexibility and support.
- GTI Theater in Cambridge for donating seven pairs of passes to be given to one student per grade to conclude the month.
- Darwin Nelson for taking such wonderful pictures of the students and designing fabulous “READ” posters.
- Lifetouch for printing the posters.
- BEPO (Braham Elementary Parent Organization) for purchasing the frames for the posters.
- Mary and Charlie Casanova for making the author visit very special.
- School Board Member Mike Thompson for the generous donation of picture books written by Mary Casanova to the Elementary Media Center.
- Media Secretaries Dana Hendren and Kathy Olson for their creativity, dedication and support the entire month.