Isanti’s economic development director will represent the city on a state-wide level for the next few years.
During the Isanti City Council meeting Jan. 7, Isanti Mayor George Wimmer explained Sean Sullivan was elected by ballot to the Economic Development Association of Minnesota.
City protocol is to authorize staff to serve on boards and commissions before beginning to serve in any capacity. The first scheduled meeting for the Association is Jan. 29.
Wimmer said staff feels the appointment to the board will help the city of Isanti be more successful in economic development activities. Sullivan’s term is for two years, and city staff feels the monthly time commitment is manageable.
According to its website, “EDAM is professional association of individuals and organizations throughout the state of Minnesota who share this mission. We pursue our mission by providing development professionals a forum for exchanging information and staying abreast of current economic development strategies and practices and by providing economic developers with valuable networking and educational opportunities. EDAM members are leading economic developers in the state of Minnesota. EDAM consults with the state on public policy issues related to economic development, and helps continually define and improve the profession.”
In other action the council:
• Designated the Isanti County News as the 2014 official newspaper.
• Set regular City Council meetings for the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Regarding the regular meeting schedule, Wednesday meetings will be held this year on Feb. 5 (due to Precinct Caucus), Aug. 6 (due to National Night Out) and Nov. 5 (due to General Election). City Council workshops are set at the direction of City Council. The City Council would call for the workshop at the first regular meeting of the month, and the workshop would be held at 5:45 p.m. prior to the second regular City Council meeting of the month.
• Directed staff to begin the process of making the City Council also the Economic Development Authority Board, but would retain the current members of the EDA.
• Appointed Doug Stegeman from MinnCo Credit Union to fill the Isanti business community member position on the Revolving Loan Fund Advisory Committee.
• Approved a resolution offering the position of economic development marking intern to Ross Kramer.