The 2013 spring reading, math and science test results were presented by District Assessment Coordinator Tracy Fix during the Braham School Board meeting Sept. 16.
The Braham School District did well compared to large and small schools in the area and across the state. The School Board was pleased with the staff and students. Due to their hard work, most of Braham’s scores have greatly improved from previous years.
In other news:
• Community Education Director Cheryl Arnold announced the School Readiness Program earned a four-star rating from the Minnesota Department of Education and has been certified as a Parent Aware Program.
• The school district’s proposed property tax levy for 2013, payable 2014, must be certified by the School Board and submitted to the county auditor by Sept. 30. The board was asked to authorize the district to levy the maximum allowable. The official paperwork will follow.
To discuss the levy, Braham’s Truth in Taxation public hearing will be held as a part of the regular December board meeting scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 16, in the Braham Area High School Community Room.
• The board also considered a resolution to appoint election judges for the Nov. 5 board member election, levy refunding election and an absentee ballot board and absentee ballot judges. Four people have filed to be Braham School Board candidates.
• Michael C. Dennis Jr. placed the highest bid of $112.75 per acre to lease the 23.2 acres of farmland located west of the high school on Elmhurst Avenue, plus 4.3 acres located west of the elementary school.
In other action, the board approved:
• Employment recommendations, as well as lane advancement requests.
• The formation of an FFA Chapter.
• The creation of a Super Mileage Challenge Team, which will build a car to compete at the Brainerd Raceway.
Dates to remember:
• Sept. 23-27: Homecoming.
• Sept. 27: Early Childhood Screening.
• Sept. 30: Community Education Brochures available.
• Oct. 1: ECFE programs begin and MMR/AYP reports released.
• Oct. 5: Annual Eight Team Volleyball Tournament.
• Oct. 10: Community Education Advisory Council meeting.
• Oct. 14: Working School Board meeting at 7 p.m.
• Oct. 21: Regular School Board meeting at 7 p.m. in the Braham Area High School Community Room.