Info sessions set for charter school developing in Isanti County
Scheduled to open this fall, the Arts & Science Academy is a free public charter school developing in Isanti County.
It will focus on learning academic standards “through the arts,” meaning that the arts will be taught both as specific disciplines, and as a platform by which academics are “lived out,” a process known as “arts integration.”
Arts & Science Academy will offer students and families in Isanti and surrounding counties an educational choice that promises to be innovative and academically strong or “rigorous,” grounded on educational research, proven curriculum and teaching methods.
Several initial information sessions have been scheduled to be held at the Minnco Conference Room in Cambridge at 236 2nd Ave. SW on the following dates:
• Thursday, Feb. 21, 7 to 8 p.m.
• Tuesday, March 12, 7 to 8 p.m.
• Friday, March 29, 7 to 8 p.m.
Benefits to students include:
• Arts integrated curriculum — students are learning and doing the arts every day
• Daily team-teaching approach — Arts and academic teachers work together to integrate curriculum and teach students as a team
• Higher levels of teacher leadership and autonomy — Teachers are involved in all aspects of school leadership
• Year-round calendar with free all-day kindergarten — Shorter summer breaks help students retain information. Longer breaks throughout the year prevent burn-out
• Smaller class sizes and small school setting — Students receive individualized instructional assistance including free tutoring and homework help
• High expectations of staff and a “no-failure” approach to educating students
• Longer school day — Students will have an additional hour each day for homework help and enrichment activities.