Blake Heinrich of Cambridge played on Team USA in the Nov. 5-11 World Junior A Challenge, hosted in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The 20-player USA squad went on to win the championship in a 6-3 victory over Canada West.
USA opened with a 9-1 win over Canada East, then Heinrich had an assist in a 4-3 win over Switzerland in pool play. The semifinals was a rematch with Switzerland where Team USA prevailed 7-4, with Heinrich netting one goal.
Heinrich played his last three winters at Hill-Murray, with the Pioneers taking 2nd in the Class AA tourney last season. This year, he is one of 10 Minnesotans playing for the Sioux City, Iowa team in the USHL where he is finishing his senior year of school. The Musketeers are currently 3-11-4 in the West Division of the USHL. Heinrich is verbally committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth where he hopes to play next winter.
• Cambridge-Isanti grad Tony Nelson is currently 9-0 at Heavyweight for University of Minnesota wrestling. Nelson has four pins already on the young season for the Gophers, ranked No. 1 in Division 1 wrestling.
• Braham grad Tyler Vaughan hit five three-pointers to score 15 points in his first start as a freshman for the Minnesota State-Moorhead men’s basketball squad. The Dragons are currently 4-0 this season.
• Cambridge-Isanti grad Clayton Jennissen is 3-3 as a freshman for St. Cloud State wrestling. The Huskies are ranked No. 2 in Division II wrestling.
• Cambridge-Isanti grad Hannah Knickerbocker had a great cross country season for the Concordia College-Moorhead women’s team. The junior led the Cobbers with an 18th-place finish at the MIAC Finals. Hannah also led the Cobbers at the NCAA Central Region Meet.
• Cambridge-Isanti grad Joe Renier posted the Gustavus Adolphus College men’s cross country’s second-best run at the NCAA Central Region Meet. The junior also competed for the Gusties in the MIAC finals. His brother, Sam Renier, is also running for Gustavus cross country.
• Cambridge-Isanti grad Jake Gagne was a senior starting offensive guard on the Augsburg College football squad.
• Cambridge-Isanti grad Ryne Gagne is a freshman on the Augsburg men’s basketball team this season.
• Braham grad Kelsey Sorenson-Giffrow is a freshman guard on the 3-1 University of Minnesota-Duluth women’s basketball team this winter.