Lyle was born Feb. 4, 1935 in Frazee, Minn. to Albert and Ella Illg. Throughout his youth Lyle worked on his family’s dairy farm and family run saw mill. He worked building silos during his summers off of school. After graduating from Frazee High School in 1954, Lyle moved to Minneapolis and worked at Galagher’s Garbage Service and then Equipment Refinishing as a body shop/repair foreman until it was closed. Lyle worked at Midwest Great Dane/Kolstad until his retirement in 2002.
Lyle married Karen Harves on June 13, 1981. They were devoted to one another and cherished their time together. They resided in Ramsey for 10 years and moved to their rural Isanti hobby farm in 1991. On their farm Lyle made hay, oats and straw. He enjoyed thrashing and going to tractor swaps and auctions. He loved getting back to his farming roots. Tractors and farming were his love. In his spare time Lyle enjoyed restoring antique tractors, cars and was a member of Tri County Olde Tyme Threshers.
Lyle was patient and kind and a gentle man of few words. We will remember him in our hearts and memories forever.
Lyle is survived by his wife Karen, one son: Gerry (Shirley) Illg of East Bethel, Minn. 2 step children: Christopher (Melinda) Harves of Cottage Grove and Renee (David) Gemmill of Bradford. Eight grandchildren: Lisa Illg Kunza, Amanda Illg McCormick, Jason Illg, CJ Harves, Rebecca Harves, Christina Harves, Robin Gemmill and JD Gemmill. 3 Great-Grandchildren, sisters Lucille Johnson of Fargo, N.D., Barbara (Teddy) Blauert and Gladys (Butch) Holmer all of Frazee, as well as nieces, nephews other relatives and friends.
Funeral Services were held Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at Long Lake Lutheran Church with Rev. Matt Flom officiating. Active Pallbearers were Dave Olson, Rollie Splittstoser, Jason Illg, Mark Glauvitz, Jim Johnson and CJ Harves. Honorary Pallbearers were Arnold Scheid, Jeff Moulzolf and Al Roehlke. Interment was in Long Lake Community Cemetery. Arrangements are with the Carlson-Lillemoen Funeral Home and Cremation Services of Cambridge.