A total of 179 tax-forfeited land parcels will go on public auction Wednesday, Sept. 12 (9:30 a.m.) at the Government Center’s Board Room. Establishing the appraised value minimum bid and approving the sale were conducted by the Isanti County Board at its June 20 regular meeting.
IC Auditor Terry Treichel and Deputy Auditor Angie Larson were on hand to explain how the appraised values were determined, along with the public sale methodology. Particular attention was paid to certain lots in the cities of Cambridge and Braham since city assessments will need to be covered on them.
Discussion also dealt on whether it would be wise to lump some lots together to appeal to a single buyer or keep as separate units. Parcel sizes range from the small (1/4 acre townhouse lots) to medium (house on 1 1/2 acres in Crown and a cabin on Long Lake) to larger (the old Dalbo Feed Mill and a 20-acre piece in North Branch Township).
Jail Bonds refinancing
Carolyn Drude of Ehlers and Associates financial advisors brought good news to the board regarding the Jail Bond refinancing bids. She reported that a fiscal savings of $307,000 could be garnered by the county over a 10-year period by going with her bid recommendation.
Northland Securities of Minneapolis came in with the low true interest rate of 1.541 percent, with a closing date on the bonds set for July 18. A total of eight different firms made bids on the bonds which helped pay for the jail remodeling.
“Getting eight bids is terrific. The county has a ‘Aa3’ bond rating which is not far below ‘AAA,’” explained Drude. “More strengths Isanti County has are the General Fund policy the board approved last December, its low debt burden and a strong overall financial picture compared to counties nationwide.
In other action, the board:
• Approved the following Planning Commission recommendations: Shawn D. Bragge’s conditional use permit for an automotive repair shop in Bradford Township; Jimmy D. Tibbetts’ conditional use permit for an automotive repair shop in Spencer Brook Township; River Valley Community Church’s conditional use permit to hold church services in a pole building in Cambridge Township, with a Sober House set up on the existing home on the same property.
• Approved adjusting the size of the log shelter at Springvale County Park to a 20’ x 30’ shelter. A Legacy Grant will cover the majority of the $18,500 project, with funds also tapped from the Park Department’s reserve fund. Parks Director Barry Wendorf informed the board that the Park Board will be discussing a reservation system for the shelters in the county park system.
• Approved the purchase for a Heartland Transportation replacement transit bus with an 80 percent State/Federal share and a 20 percent local match (total price: $69,466).
• Approved the bingo application for the Sons of the American Legion in conjunction with the Isanti Co. Fair.
• Did not approve the property tax penalty and interest abatement request from Spirit River Community United Methodist Church by a 4-1 vote.
Next meeting: Thursday, July 5, 9 a.m.