Landmark Bank plans June 29 celebration in honor of 111-year anniversary

On Friday, June 29, Landmark Community Bank will celebrate its 111th year anniversary, and the community is invited.

Pictured are Landmark Community Bank employees JoAnn Eskelson, Angela Dynkavitch, Kevin Johnson, Connie Nelson, Samantha Sanders, Jessica Harris, Annette Wendel, Lori Ness, Lisa Johnson, Laura Grondin and Heather Tuomala.

An open house will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. with Landmark hosting a BBQ, complete with entertainment and drawings for cash and prizes, along with a few surprises. Join them for the celebration at 711 Sixth Ave. in Isanti.

On June 29, Marshall Mackay, President/CEO of the Independent Community Bankers of Minnesota, will also be presenting a US flag to Landmark in recognition of a “century of service” as part of their program to mark significant bank anniversary milestones.

Originally opening in a small brick building on Main Street in downtown Isanti, in 1901 State Bank of Isanti had total assets of $10,000. At the time, the community had a great need for banking services with the closest town miles away. On Nov. 28, 1914, State Bank of Isanti changed its name to First State Bank of Isanti.

David C. Johnson acquired ownership of the bank in the mid-70s. Upon his father’s death in 1995, Kevin L. Johnson became bank president. Kevin shares his father’s commitments and carried the bank forward to become a national bank in 1996 when its name was changed to Landmark Community Bank. LCB’s second branch opened in 1997 in Ramsey, along with a third branch in 2004 which is located in White Bear Township. In January 2007, Landmark celebrated the opening of a new building on Hwy. 65 in Isanti.

Landmark’s management, employees and Board of Directors remain committed to both customers and their community.  LCB is now part of a third generation of banking ownership, with Kevin’s son, T. Ryan Johnson, joining the board this year.

Last summer, customers were asked to bring in banking memorabilia dated before 1955. Some of the items included a Certificate of Deposit from January 1943 (showing 6 percent interest!), a Statement of Condition as of June 30, 1953 and an ad from the late 30s. The ad reflects Isanti County’s past economic structure, with the bank offering cattle loans along with its checking and savings accounts.

The banking memorabilia is an appropriate addition for Landmark’s main bank located in Isanti, as the lobby is permanently set up with museum-like displays of banking history, including antique coin banks, the tools of early banking and an antique alarm system, along with historical photos of Isanti.  Be sure to check out the lobby displays when you stop by on June 29.

Landmark employees enjoy opportunities to be active in the community, including soliciting continuous donations for the local food shelf. Every first and third Friday is also The Blues Benefit when Landmark employees can wear jeans to support a cause by making a donation, which the bank matches. So far in 2012, the food shelf, Animal Humane Society and Breast Cancer Foundation have all benefited from these donations.

Each Christmas, Landmark sponsors the Giving Tree and both staff and customers participate in purchasing gifts for the children of The Refuge Network, a three-county wide domestic abuse prevention organization. They also are an annual sponsor of the Jubilee/ Rodeo Days parade and events.

up arrow