Judge finds man guilty of assault stemming from 2010 incident at Chinese restaurant

By Rachel Kytonen

An employee at the Q Mandarin Restaurant in Cambridge  who injured one employee and critically injured another has been found guilty of first degree assault.

A ruling by Judge James Dehn in 10th District Court in Cambridge found Jing Hai Jiang, 50, guilty of felony first degree assault causing great bodily harm from an incident that happened in the restaurant Oct. 31, 2010. Jiang is scheduled for sentencing March 21.

He was acquitted of felony 1st degree-premeditated-murder and a second count of felony first degree assault.

According to the criminal complaint Jiang had been accidentally bumped by another employee with a kitchen pan.

An argument quickly broke out and around 11:40 a.m. Jiang allegedly swung what the complaint describes as “a square knife” or cleaver, cutting the first victim in the head, neck and right arm/hand.

The second victim attempted to intervene and was struck in the hand with the knife, leaving him bleeding severely.

Someone called 9-1-1, and the two victims, both bleeding heavily, were put in a private vehicle that headed to Cambridge Medical Center and Jiang fled out the back door, leaving the weapon behind. Following an intensive search, Jiang was found hiding in a shed on the southern edge of Cambridge later that day.

The first victim who was struck in the head, neck and right arm/hand, was critically injured and taken to Cambridge Medical Center and nearly died in the transport. He was then transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center. According to court documents, the victim did have symptoms suggestive of “mild traumatic brain injury” and was transferred to Knapp Rehabilitation Center for follow-up and physical therapy. The victim continues to experience mobility, lack of sensation, numbness, balance and vision problems stemming from the Oct. 31 assault.

The second victim was treated at Cambridge Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. He had surgery for repair of his left-hand laceration and was discharged the next day. The court documents said “no evidence has been presented that would indicate [the victim] suffered from any serious permanent disfigurement or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ or other serious bodily harm.”

In his Dec. 23 ruling, Judge Dehn states, “the injuries that occurred followed a heated argument between the cooks. The defendant was holding the Chinese cooking knife at the time of the incident because he was chopping chicken in preparation for frying it. [The second victim] attempted to resolve the issue between the two cooks but it continued despite his efforts. After the [second victim] was injured the defendant put the knife down, held the [victim’s] hand and told him he was sorry.”

According to the court documents, Jiang is a non-English speaking person from China. He is legally in the United States as a permanent resident. He migrated to the U.S. 17 years ago and worked in New York City before he was able to make enough money to send for his wife and two sons.

In June 2010 Jiang moved his family to Cambridge and started working at the Q Mandarin Restaurant. Jiang had been working as the deep fryer cook for approximately four months before the Oct. 31 incident.