Woman recovering following accident at cheese factory

Cori Forslin grateful for family support

By Rachel Kytonen

Even though an accident has left her with limited mobility of her left hand, Cori Forslin feels grateful.

Forslin had been working for a short time at the DairiConcepts cheese factory through a temp agency when an accident Oct. 26 forever changed her life.

Cori Forslin (right) has leaned on the support of her sister Jennifer Bondeson since hurting her left hand in an accident Oct. 26 at the cheese plant in Dalbo. Photo by Rachel Kytonen

The accident happened in the early morning, only a few hours into her shift. While Forslin has no recollection of the accident, her left hand was amputated, as well as a section of her forearm.

Forslin was rushed to North Memorial Medical Center and was in surgery for 11 hours. While in the recovery room, the left hand lost circulation and Forslin underwent another surgery for three hours, but the procedure worked and her hand was successfully reattached.

The next five days were spent in the intensive care unit getting blood transfusions, narcotics and blood thinners. After 10 days at North Memorial, Forslin was discharged and moved in with her sister Jennifer Bondeson.

Forslin said she’s extremely grateful to all the first responders who arrived at the scene that day.

“I would just like to thank the paramedics, first responders and everyone that was at the scene before North Air arrived,” Forslin said recently. “I especially want to thank DairiConcepts for being so generous, thoughtful and caring during my recovery. They have brought food to my family, sent me flowers, gifts, birthday wishes and even an entire Thanksgiving dinner.”

Forslin feels thankful for all the support she’s received from her family and friends since the accident.

“I would just like to thank all my friends and family for being by my side all hours of the day when I was at the hospital and then at Jen’s home,” Forslin said. “I’m also thankful for the wonderful home care staff, my pastor and church friends.”

When Forslin was discharged from North Memorial, the surgeon gave her a 50-50 chance of ever being able to move her fingers or feel a warm or cold sensation on her left hand. However, the day after being discharged to her sister’s home, Forslin was able to move three fingers and her thumb.

Forslin said her sister has been “incredible,” and also mentioned her mother has been very helpful in filling out all the paperwork associated with the accident.

“My mom has done so much paperwork, even though she’s already taking care of my grandma who is 100,” Forslin said. “It’s amazing to me that I can just sit back and have people take care of everything for me. Words can’t explain how grateful I am.”

While Forslin remains hopeful and optimistic for the future, she admits it hasn’t been an easy road.

“The pain was unbearable in the beginning, but has subsided to a more tolerable level at this point while medicated,” Forslin said. “Being back home and going through all the cards and gifts, I realized how much people really care. I think about the accident often and have nightmares, but I thank God I don’t remember it.”

Forslin’s sister and mother both said Oct. 26 is a day they will never forget.

“One of the nurse’s at North Memorial called me that morning and said ‘Cori has been an accident and it’s really bad,’” said Cori’s mother. “I don’t remember much about the drive down to North Memorial but I kept wondering if she was going to bleed to death. I guess as a mother I was thinking about every possible scenario you can think of. I remember just feeling physically ill.”

Forslin had some complications on Nov. 17 and ended up in intensive care at Cambridge Medical Center. She was then transferred to GracePointe Crossing’s short term rehabilitation unit undergoing hand therapy and occupational therapy. She will stay there until she can be safely discharged.

Even with everything she has been through, Cori said some good things have happened as a result of the accident. She mentioned she quit smoking after 20 years, and now has closer relationships with God, her family and friends.

“I can’t start thinking negative,” Forslin said. “I’ve gotten though everything with the help of God, my family and friends.”

To help with the mounting costs of medical expenses, a benefit fund has been set up for Cori Forslin and donations can be made at any Wells Fargo Bank.

Those wishing to follow Cori Forslin’s journey, visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/coriforslin.