Healthy individuals are needed every day to maintain an adequate blood supply for patients in need.
The next Cambridge Community Blood Drive will be held Thursday, Sept. 8, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Cambridge Lutheran Church, 621 North Old Main Street.
“Donating blood is an easy way to help others and only takes about an hour of your time,” said Konnie O’Neil, coordinator of the Cambridge Community Red Cross Blood Drive. “The Red Cross encourages donor to give blood each time they are eligible; every 56 days for whole blood donations and 112 days for double red cell donations.”
Once a donor has made the commitment to give blood, it is important to take a few simple steps to prepare and to help ensure a good donation experience.
The Red Cross recommends:
• Getting a good night’s sleep.
• Eating a good breakfast or lunch.
• Drinking extra water and fluids to help replace the volume you will donate.
• Avoid caffeinated beverages.
• Eating iron-rich foods to boost your iron level.