Braham School Board calls for general election
By Elizabeth Sias
The Braham School Board passed a resolution to call a general election in November to fill the positions of school board members during its meeting Monday, July 18.
The four-year terms of four school board members — Lowell Luebeck, Daniel Klemz, Craig Hammond and Anthony Cuda — will expire in January. The general election will be held Tuesday, Nov. 8, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The dates for filing affidavits of candidacy for the office of school board member will begin Aug. 2 and close on Aug. 16. An affidavit of candidacy must be filed in the office of the school district clerk and the $2 filing fee paid prior to 5 p.m. on Aug. 16.
In other action, the board:
• Reviewed the July School Improvement Plan (SIP) report. Due to the state shutdown, the district has not yet received payment for June expenses. Also due to the shutdown, the Minnesota Department of Education has yet to approve the SIP plan for years two and three of the grant. Superintendent Greg Winter has requested a meeting with members of the MDE Office of Turnaround Schools to finalize and resolve outstanding issues with the grant application. That meeting will be scheduled as soon as the state budget impasse is resolved and state employees return to work. Until the meeting occurs, BAHS staff employed through the grant will continue on layoff status.
• Approved the resignation of High School Counselor Zac Schnedler, effective immediately. He has been with the district since August 2007.
• Approved the resignation of K-12 Classroom/Vocal Music Teacher Karen Nordenstrom, effective immediately. She has been with the district since August 2008.
• Approved the recommendation to hire Jenny Masterson for a full-time special education position for the 2011-2012 school year. She has 12 years of teaching experience, a master’s degree and most recently taught at Central High School in Duluth.
• Approved the recommendation to hire Cathy Anderson for the Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) part-time parent facilitator position for the 2011-2012 school year. She has a bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood with a Parent Ed licensure. She has a wide variety of experience working with families of young children and facilitating parenting groups, including working for the Braham school district from 2007 to 2009 as a previous Parent Facilitator for the ECFE program.
• Approved the membership renewal with Schools for Equity in Education (SEE) for 2011-2012 for $1,926. The district has been a member of SEE for a number of years. The organization obtains legislation providing equity funding for school districts in the state.
• Approved the membership renewal with Minnesota School Boards Association for 2011-2012 for $4,005. The membership provides benefits to member schools in the way of negotiations, policy and election support, legal advice, and seminars for members and general school management.
• Approved the membership renewal with Central Minnesota Educational Research and Development Council for 2011-2012 for $1,134. The council provides a regional service for school districts in a number of areas, including primarily purchase and repair, as well as technical support for financial personnel.
• Approved the membership renewal with Central Minnesota Resource Training and Solutions for 2011-2012 for $2,808. The membership provides services and programs in a variety of areas including staff development, gifted, curriculum, special education, educational effectiveness, grant assistance, the Medical/Health Insurance Pool and more.