Ernest Henry Gutzkow, 94, of Cambridge, Minn. passed away Thursday, July 14, 2011 at the Cambridge Medical Center.
Ernie was born in Braham, Minn. on March 8, 1917 to August and Alma (Strohkirch) Gutzkow. He married Margaret Klemz on April 11, 1938 at the Minister of the Gospel Church in Hastings, Minn. They lived in Hastings for a short time until they moved to Rock Creek, Minn. to operate the Three Way Inn until 1941. Then they moved to St. Paul, Minn. where Ernie worked at the American Brake Shoe Foundry until 1948. They then left St. Paul and moved to Greeley, Minn. where Ernie had various jobs: The Greeley Store, Zetterberg’s in Mora and the Twin Cities Ammunition Plant in Arden Hills. In 1959, they opened and operated Ernie’s Bait Shop in Cambridge, Minn. and later moved to Cambridge. In 1975, they sold the bait shop providing time for Ernie and Margaret to do what they both enjoyed, fishing. Ernie’s passion was fishing and hunting, taking drives to enjoy the scenery, an occasional game of cribbage and spending time with family and friends.
He was preceded in death by his wife Margaret, daughter Kathy, son Gerry, parents August and Alma and brother Stewart.
He is survived by daughter Jean Gutzkow of St. Louis Park, grandchildren Tim Gutzkow and wife Linda of East Bethel, Jody Gutzkow of Cambridge, Gerri Ann Hickey of Mora, Bob Grundmann of Cambridge, Steve Grundmann of Mora and Scott Grundmann of Cambridge. He is also survived by several great and great-great grandchildren as well as other relatives and friends. He will be greatly missed. “Special thanks to the staff at Cambridge Medical Center and GracePointe Crossing East for their kindness, compassion and special care.”
A Memorial Service was held Saturday, July 16, 2011 at the Calvary Lutheran Church of Rush Point with Rev. Keith Kozlow officiating. Music was provided by Janice Johnson and Jon Scheele. Urn Bearer was Tim Gutzkow. Inurnment was in the St. John’s Lutheran Cemetery near Rush City, Minn. Arrangements were by the Rock Ingebrand Funeral Home of Braham.