Isanti City Council moves forward with street project
By Elizabeth Sias
The street improvement project in Isanti continues to move forward.
During the Tuesday, July 5 Isanti City Council meeting, council members awarded the bid for the 2011 street and utility improvement project to Redstone Construction for $952,142.51, which is about $55,000 below the engineer’s estimate.
The improvements will be on Broadway Street SW from the railroad right-of-way to 3rd Avenue SW, on 2nd and 4th Avenues SW from Main Street W to Elizabeth St. SW, 3rd Avenue SW from Main Street W to Broadway Street SW, 5th Avenue SW from Elizabeth Street SW to S. Brookview Lane SW and on Elizabeth Street SW from 2nd Avenue SW to N. Brookview Lane SW.
The improvements will consist of both new construction and reconstruction of sanitary sewer, storm sewer, streets and curb and gutter as well as watermain valve installations, together with associated sidewalk, driveway and boulevard restorations.
The council also approved the plans and specifications for the 2011 Bluebird Park Performance Center Project and ordered advertisement for bids.
The Park Board reviewed three concept alternatives for the orientation of the proposed performance center. The preferred concept orients the building so that the band shell is facing the southeast toward the park, and positioned fairly tight to the sloped road embankments off of 3rd Avenue and Isanti Parkway.
In other action, the council:
• Appointed Kimberly Horst, of Isanti, to fill the vacated Park and Recreation Board seat.
• Approved the special event request to the Vietnam Vet’s Chapter 684 to hold the Vietnam Vet’s picnic in Bluebird Park on Saturday, Aug. 6 from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. Hot air balloon rides will be offered as part of the event.
• Passed a resolution to place a sign on the Bike/Walk Trail that connects the cities of Cambridge and Isanti reading “Welcome to the City of Isanti” on one side and “Thank You for Visiting Isanti” on the back.
• Passed a resolution approving the general lease agreement for 236 Broadway St. SE, a property the city purchased in January 2010.
• Offered the position of Human Resources/Deputy City Clerk to Karissa Henning. This position title was formerly the Administrative Assistant.