May 6 proclaimed Seat Belt Awareness Day
The cities of Cambridge, Isanti, Braham, Isanti County and the Cambridge-Isanti School District, joined forces to bring attention to Seat Belt Awareness.
The respective government agencies, each approved resolutions declaring May 6 as Seat Belt Awareness Day. On Monday, May 2, the agencies gathered at Cambridge City Hall, and together read the official proclamation:
• Whereas, every year, many lives are lost on our roadways that could have been prevented by the single action of buckling a safety belt, and
• Whereas, safety belts reduce the risk of death and serious injury by 40 percent to 60 percent, and
• Whereas, in our communities alone, several lives could have been saved within the past three years if they had worn their seat belts, and
• Whereas, when crash victims are unbuckled, their medical treatment costs are on average 50 percent higher than those who are securely buckled, and
• Whereas, a seat-belted driver has a better chance of maintaining control of the vehicle during and immediately following a collision, protecting passengers and others on the road, and
• Whereas, seat belts aren’t just for the front seat because if passengers are in the back seat and not belted, their body becomes a lethal weapon, moving forward with enough force to break the back of someone riding in the front or to cause serious brain injury, and
• Whereas, effective June 9, 2009, new provisions require everybody of all ages in every seating position in the vehicle to be buckled up or riding in an approved child passenger safety restraint so law enforcement officers can stop and cite drivers and passengers who are not buckled up. This primary enforcement provision gives the seat belt use law the same status as every other Minnesota traffic safety law, and
Therefore, let it be resolved, that the cities of Cambridge, Braham, Isanti, Isanti County, and Cambridge-Isanti School District, will continue their commitment to enforce the seat belt law through their “Click it or Ticket” efforts and declare May 6, 2011 as Seat Belt Awareness Day.