New branch of Central Lakes Oral & Facial Surgery open in Cambridge

Greg Hunt

Central Lakes Oral & Facial Surgery brings its specialized care to downtown Cambridge, located at 244 South Main St. (the corner of Main and 3rd Ave. SE). Central Lakes also has branches in St. Cloud and Willmar.

The Central Lakes Oral and Facial Surgery team includes (l-r) Christy Emslander RDA, Dawn Heald RDA, Dr. Roderick VanSurksum, and Christy Orth RN. Photo by Greg Hunt

Dr. Roderick VanSurksum and Dr. Elisabeth Peterson are the oral and maxillofacial facial surgeons handling east-central Minnesota cases.

“Wisdom teeth and teeth extractions are an example of oral surgery. A big part of our practice now is dental implants. Oral pathology and oral cancer are more services,” explained Dr. VanSurksum. “We work with facial trauma and facial reconstruction. For example, we work with an orthodontist for the reconstruction of bones so the teeth fit together better.”

At present, the Cambridge office is open Wednesdays and Fridays, but Central Lakes care is available five days a week. Approximately 80 percent of Central Lakes Oral and Facial Surgery patients are referred by their dentists. The other 20 percent are physician referrals or emergencies.

“We saw Cambridge as a dynamic small town that also is a hub to the area. We saw a need for an oral surgeon since one has not practiced in town for approximately 10 years,” said Dr. VanSurksum, a former Air Force general dentist who completed his Oral and Maxillofacial residency through the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.

Dr. Peterson completed her Oral and Maxillofacial residency through the University of Minnesota. Central Lakes Oral & Facial Surgery can be reached at 763-689-1886.

 

  • Sherri

    Outstanding! Am so excited to hear Dr Vansurksum is going to be here! I’ve seen him twice for extractions and he is soooo good! I have a real fear of surgery and the dentist and combine that together and it’s my worst nightmare but Dr. Van has in both instances made it the best oral surgery can possibly be! I can’t give him and his staff higher praise! Welcome to Cambridge/Isanti! You are definitely needed here! :~)

up arrow