Volunteers prepare for upcoming tax season
Free tax return preparation is available for low income individuals and families and low to moderate income seniors.
Free tax return preparation is available for low income individuals and families and low to moderate income seniors. In a few instances those with complicated returns are not eligible for the service as the training provided to the volunteers does not cover their situations.
Volunteers have attended three full-day group training sessions at the Cambridge library. Returning volunteers refreshed their skills and learned about changes for this year’s tax season at the same time they helped train new volunteers who have had to learn “everything.” Every tax preparer is required to pass IRS certification tests each year for basic, intermediate and advanced level returns.
Pictured: Returning volunteer Richard Prenovost, helps new volunteers Andrea Zeman, (left) and Margery Fagerstrom.Photo by Carol Kenfield
Local tax preparation sites, which operate from the middle of February through April 18 are:
• Cambridge Library, Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 763 552-9229 to schedule an appointment.
• Hinckley St Patrick Church, Thursdays, 4-7 p.m. Call 320-629-2210 schedule an appointment.
• Mora 7 County Senior Federation, Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 320-679-4700 to schedule an appointment.
• North Branch Senior Center, Fridays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 6516748658 to schedule an appointment.
• Pine City Nutrition Center, Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 320-629-4790 to schedule an appointment.
• Princeton Library, Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Call 763-856-6039 to schedule an appointment.
Additional volunteers for the AARP/VITA tax program are always welcome. While preparing returns is the most rewarding work it is also the most challenging and a number of other volunteer opportunities are available, including people to schedule appointments and others to greet clients as they come in for their tax appointments.
If you would like more information about helping, call Kitty Losinger at 320-272-4243 or drop by one of the tax preparation sites during scheduled hours.