Bluejackets’ balance comes through at South St. Paul
Putting together a balanced effort on Saturday, the Cambridge-Isanti boys swim & dive team took home the 1st-place trophy from the South St. Paul Invite. (Photo submitted)
The Bluejacket divers combined for their strongest meet of the season while racking up 47 team points. Zach Stewart placed 2nd with a 298.95 score, followed by Billy Eifert in 3rd place (265.55) and Parker Brown in 5th (248.8).
"All three are diving really consistently right now. Considering our practice time has been cut back with three meets in each of the past two weeks, those guys are doing really well," said C-I Coach Gary Gotz.
Another key individual event was the 100 Freestyle where Jason Codner took 2nd (52.4 seconds), Benj Nault-Maurer was 3rd (52.9) and Darrin Codner placed 10th (56.9), combining for 40 points in the team standings.
Jake Berry posted C-I’s lone win at the meet when he swam a 55.2 time in the 100 Backstroke. Berry also placed 2nd in the 100 Butterfly (55.1), teaming with Landon Acre-Kendall in that event who took 6th (1:00.6).
The Bluejackets’ top relays all placed 2nd at the Packer Invite, kicking off with Berry, Nick Solberg, Acre-Kendall and Calvin Cicha swimming a 1:47.6 in the 200 Medley. Then in the 200 Free Relay, it was Cicha, J. Codner, Acre-Kendall and David Voller recording a runner-up 1:34.7 mark. Closing the meet, the foursome of J. Codner, Voller, Nault-Maurer and Berry helped ward off Farmington with its 3:27.2 result.
More top-10 Bluejackets at the Invite:
• Voller 4th in the 200 Free (1:57), 7th in the 500 (5:33)
• Cicha 3rd in the 100 Breaststroke (1:08), 6th in the 200 IM (2:16)
• J. Codner 3rd in the 50 Free (23.6)
• Nick Solberg 6th in the 100 Breaststroke (1:09), 10th in the 50 Free (25.5)
• Nault-Maurer 8th in the 100 Backstroke (1:02)
• Grant McCormick 10th in the 200 Free (2:03)
• Matt Taray 10th in the 100 Breaststroke (1:12).
South St. Paul Invitational
Cambridge-Isanti 414, Farmington 357.5, Hastings 319, River Falls 272, South St. Paul 225.5, St. Louis Park 220.5, Tartan 219, St. Cloud Apollo 154.5, St. Paul Como 128.
• The Jan. 20 dual meet at the CIHS pool against up-and-coming St. Michael-Albertville will also be "Parents Night" and "Senior Night’ for the Bluejackets. It’s their last home dual of the season, with only the Jan. 29 Bluejacket remaining on the home schedule.
Orono 95, C-I 91
The Spartans handed the Bluejackets their first home loss of the season Jan. 13, highlighted by them setting a new CIHS pool record in the 200 Medley Relay (1:43.51). Jake Berry won the 200 IM and 100 Backstroke races. More individual 1st places for C-I in the non-conference meet were David Voller in the 200 Freestyle and Calvin Cicha in the 100 Breaststroke.